Thursday, November 5, 2009

No Ad Hoc Activity For Me, Yippee!!!

I was talking about an ad hoc activity the other day. After serious debilitation, it was decided that a training camp is going to be held from 15 - 19 November.

But I won't be going this time. Yippee for me. Suddenly, I feel the burden unload off my shoulders. Phew. Why am I not going? Actually, I do not know. But I know that the P does not allow me to go, and for once, I'm really elated. And so, my poor colleague is going to bring 10 kids to the capital all on his own. And for four days, he and some other teachers, will be training the kids. My poor colleagues at the training camp will also have to cover my slots at the training. I had looked at the tentative schedule and was put in-charge of at least 3 sessions. Sorry, guys! You'll have to take over!!

Training was in fact quite interesting at first. In 2007, I was the one who accompanied a set of 10 kids to the capital. The schedule was packed, and the training was really strict and tough. There were lots of things for the kids to organise, and tonnes of problems for them to solve. At the worst moment, the girls were a wreck! They were demoralised and dejected and teary. This was followed by plenty of sleepless nights, as the kids struggled to complete task after task. The trainer was a fierce old lady who really scared the wits out of me. The kids were of course terrified of her.

In 2008, us teachers co-ordinated the training for a new set of kids, with the help of the scary old lady. At that time, she was assisted by a confusing younger woman, who did nothing but bring everyone in circles. A disaster occurred in the midst of that training, which no one wanted to be accountable for. The women blamed us. We blamed them. The organisers were caught in the middle. Lol.

This year, I can't bear the thought of going through the training. I have no motivation whatsoever. Why? Because I can't help but think that this particular programme will lead to anywhere. We worked at it for two years. No results. Based on the key performance index, it should have been scraped off already so that people can focus their energy on other things. But no, we are hanging on. For what?

At the management level, everyone is accusing each other for not doing what they should do. The school blames the education department, and vice versa. I, for one, am really disillusioned. And if given a choice, I really do not want to be associated with it even!

Well, no matter what I say, training will continue. We small fry must listen to the big fry. This time though, it will be totally handled by the teachers. No scary women whatsoever. So, the experience for this batch of kids will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...