Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Unexpected Adventure

I made an unexpected trip to Brunei last night.

A good friend W**** called me yesterday evening. She needed someone to deliver a car to an airfield in Brunei. Due to some inevitable circumstances, she had no drivers at the time, and so she asked me for help.

W****'s family runs a car rental business, and sometimes I will help them with car deliveries. It is always fun to help out, because I get to drive a whole lot of different cars. So, I'm always keen when she calls for help. Usually, however, the deliveries are within Miri.

I was out with my friend R** yesterday evening when I received her call. And it just happened that I had my passport in my handbag. And so, R** dropped me off at W****'s house and off we went to Brunei to deliver her car.

I drove the Toyota Vios all by myself. It was a good car, and I enjoyed driving it. But I had never driven alone to Brunei before this. It comforted me a lot that W**** was in her MyVi ahead of me.

It being a week day, the road was mostly quiet. So it was a bit eerie. It was also dark most of the way, forcing me to be extra alert on the wheel.

Anyway, having delivered the car, W**** and I dropped by at Excapade Sushi for dinner. By the time we were there, it was already 8.30 p.m. We did not have a reservation, but luckily there were 2 places to sit at the counter. We just grabbed some assorted sushi rolls off the conveyer belt.

This layered sushi had 2 of my favourite ingredients - unagi and salmon. However, I did not like the cheese much, and I thought it had too much rice layered into it.

Layered Sushi

My friend liked the jelly fish chuka a lot. We had 2 platters of it!

Chuka Kurage

There were only 2 of us, so we did not order the salmon sashimi. Instead, we settled for the salmon uzukuri. It was served with a ponzu sauce.

What a pretty sight.

Well, after dinner, there was plenty of time to make it to the border, which closes at 10.00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...