Sunday, November 24, 2013

Curry Noodles

We are having curry noodles for breakfast, my colleague told me.

I assembled myself some ....

Curry noodles for me :P

After I had finished eating, I felt that I needed to provide him with feedback. "Not nice," I said. This version of curry noodles needed a lot of improvement. I was sure I did not hurt his feelings ... we had catered this from a vendor, after all. 

It led me to think about what an ultimate bowl of curry noodles should be like. I hadn't much idea, as curry noodles was not peculiar to Sarawak. Over here, Sarawak Laksa was what we were familiar with. We knew exactly how we wanted our laksa and what were the compulsory condiments to accompany.

But not for Curry Noodles. I did not know much about Curry Noodles.

I searched my memory and recalled the times I had Curry Noodles in KL. The Chinese hawkers would serve their noodles with a fragrant and rich curry broth in good consistency - not too thick and not too diluted. The most basic of accompanying ingredients included fat and juicy cockles, fried tofu (tofu pok), deep-fried pork skin, bean sprouts and a side-dish of sambal. I had always had the yellow noodles substituted with rice vermicelli. Most of the time, I had found Curry Noodles to be rather satisfying.

I had these so-called Ipoh versions ....

Curry Noodles from Ipoh Town Kopitiam

 Curry Noodles from the Mee Jawa stall at Food Republic Pavillion KL

Both were so-so ... hardly to die for. Both had different condiments, the only similarity being the long beans, bean sprouts and tofu pok. Well, I had not been inducted in Ipoh Curry Mee .... these inauthentic version did not count. 

Hmn ... I supposed I had the Sarawak version of Curry Noodles, which was basically yellow noodles with normal curry gravy, served with hard-boiled egg, mustard and beansprouts. I thought it was a confused version, a neither here nor there version, like it could not decide whether it was Mee Jawa or Mee Kari. Lol. Therefore, breakfast today was a disappointment.

1 comment:

  1. Quite agree tht curry noodle is not S'wak's specialty. West Malaysia and Singapore probably have better reputation for it. I believe quite a number has those gravy that has plenty of coconut milk, it is a bit similar to the gravy from laksa at Golden Arch.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...