Saturday, November 9, 2013

Vegetable Dumplings @ Hopoh

Normally, I would eat the filling and throw away the skin. But not these dumplings which I could consume WHOLE!

I liked the vegetable dumplings sold here at Hopoh. They were RM0.70 each. There were in fact 4 flavours, namely mengkuang or jicama, salted vegetable, leek and chives. Today, I bought all 4 types.

What I liked about the vegetable dumpling is the skin. It's rather light and springy, and not soft and floury. Hence, I found it really pleasant to eat. The filling, too, tasted great and was of quite a reasonable amount. The combination of the savoury and crunchy filling, together with the chewy skin was rather delightful.

A whole dumpling, filled with chives

Crunchy and fragrant chives, flavoured with dried prawns

Delicious leek, flavoured with tofu, minced meat and dried prawns 

Jicama and dried-prawns in the dumpling ... 

Yellow dot for salted vegetable

Salty and slightly sour, and  generously filled

I saw that they had those pink dumplings in the shape of peaches, but they were filled with savoury chopped peanuts instead of glutinous rice. The pink-coloured skin had the similar texture with the vegetable dumplings, and really complemented the nutty flavour of the peanuts. I loved the simplicity of the flavour! 

Pink peanut dumplings .... 

Anyway .... it's not easy to find delicious vegetable dumplings, so I am really glad to have found the ones which I liked.  My favourites would the chives and salted vegetable. Yums.

2 comments:

  1. hopoh dumplings are the best around miri. glad u found it. how bout kuching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. people rave about the 10th mile dumplings. i have yet to try it. i usually eat homemade ones in kuching.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...