Sunday, February 9, 2014

Jong's Crocodile Farm

My friend D offered to bring me to wherever I wanted to go during the short CNY break, and become my personal tour guide.Of course I had listed down a few destinations .... but in the end, due to certain circumstances, we were only able to get to one.

And so on a bright and sunny morning, we set out for Jong's Crocodile Farm, situated past Siburan at about 29 km from Kuching. Our car cruised there leisurely, merely taking us about 25 minutes from the city to reach. There was a short and narrow stretch of gravel road that we had to manouvre, before reaching the Farm right at its doorstep.

D had been here several times, but it was a first for me. Admission tickets were sold at the entrance ... and for locals, we paid only RM10.00 per adult. Yippee .... I was quite surprised to see many tourists though ... from China and elsewhere in the world .....

Wrist tag

Upon entrance, there was a trail which led us through the exhibits .... There were photographs of crocodiles captured in the past, and some gory ones with severed limbs of victims and all .... not to look at if you are faint-hearted ...

We followed the trail which brought us to aquariums filled with specimens of terrapins, and then an open area where the pheasants and peacocks roamed rather freely .... before exiting to the ponds, just in time for the feeding at 11.00 a.m.

Lucky terrapin? I could not be sure as there were no signs whatsoever ... 

Lovely peacock

A pheasant

What happened here was that pieces of the meat were hung just above the water, and the crocodiles would "jump" out of the water and clench their powerful jaws on the food ... The crocodiles did not seem hungry that morning ... cause we waited quite a bit ... before they made their jumps for the large piece of offal hanged above the water.

A crocodile bobbing in water ...

A crocodile biting onto a piece of meat ... 

After a while, we walked towards the other enclosures outdoors ... and we saw iguanas, a deer, a bird, a goat, a goose, some hogs and pigs. Not many types of animals there actually ....

One of the pig pens

There was also an Arapaima pond ... and there, I gasped when I saw a gigantic fish .... it scared me as I had never seen such a big one all my life! Then slowly, we made our way back to exit ....3
0
Can you see a relatively small fish in the muddy pond?  

Hmn .... if one wanted to see crocodiles, well there were plenty there. There only weren't many other types of animals to see ... I also felt that they could improve on the signages as often, I did not know what species of animals I was looking at. It would be good that they were informative to educate not only the children but the adults as well. I also think that the enclosures or cages could be better maintained ... the cages where the monkeys were looked mouldy .... could hardly get a good view of the monkeys.

I think children would love to look at the crocodiles, though. I'd bring Berry here next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...