Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Judge Me Not

I climbed up the bus, and all eyes were on me. I felt uncomfortable to be the focus ... but I suppose I can't tell them to turn away. It's only natural that people will look at you when they have nothing to do while waiting for the bus to move .... I was a mere distraction. Lol. 

I was one of the last few passengers on the bus ... and there were limited seats left. I did not want to sit at the back. So ... there was only a seat left ... next to a Caucasian man. He was probably in his forties or fifties. I was not sure. He had auburn hair and sported a beard. He much reminded me of a rabbi.

I decided to sit down next to him. "May I?" I asked.

"Sure," he replied. 

Then we struck up conversation. I found out that he was Finnish, and he traveled from Jakarta. He was visiting his sister. He was quite evasive when I asked him some things, but I think he was a writer.

For some reason, he said that I had a warm smile and exuded goodness in my heart. He said I was a good person. And he urged me to do good without expecting anything in return. When the bus reached the destination, we shook hands in parting and he even gave me a reassuring squeeze on my shoulder.

I felt good about myself again.

***

Indeed, over the past few days, I was feeling very dejected because of a certain individual. He had judged me for reasons I did not understand. It could have been miscommunication, but I was sore because he offered me no chance to correct whatever that was said wrong. He was rather educated, so I thought it was ironic that he be so dimwitted. I also felt that he was prejudiced against me, and I just could not stand it. It is my regret to have considered him a friend. For he has deeply hurt me, thanks to his insensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...