Sunday, May 10, 2015

Instant Assam Laksa

My friend, L is from Kedah. Sometimes, she craves for a good bowl of Assam Laksa, but is unable to find it here. So she brings over with her, instant Assam Laksa paste from West Malaysia. She gave me 2 packets of the paste the other day. She said that it was easy to make it, and I only had to follow the instructions at the back of the package.

 TalentCook Penang Assam Laksa

The instructions at the back ...

So what Mom and I did, was that we steamed 3 pieces of ikan kembung and then fillet the meat. We picked out the bones and then flaked the fish meat. Then, to one packet of the paste, we added 800ml of water and our flaked fish and brought it to a boil.

Then we blanched thick rice vermicelli, and served it with our fish gravy. For garnishing, we only had cucumber strips and pineapples.

My serving of Assam Laksa

Well, I'm quite happy with the way the Assam Laksa turned out. For it was really quite tasty, and quite authentic in flavour! I do not think we could get anything close to this at any food centre in Kuching ....

The next time I cooked it, however, I'd have to improve on a few things.
1) I'd add some chilli paste to have a spicier broth.
2) I'd need to hunt for some mint to serve my Assam Laksa with.
3) I need more garnishing for my Assam Laksa, namely Bombay onions and cili padi.

Thanks, L, for the pastes. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...