Thursday, July 16, 2015

Lunch @ Cafe Cafe

We're breaking off for Raya for a week .... so I'm feeling immensely happy about a much-needed break. S and I wanted to have lunch at Bungalow 8, but then it was closed ....so we ended up going to Cafe Cafe at Brighton Square.

Iced Honey Lemon, RM8.90 and Hot Lemon Tea, foc

Nyonya Kapitan Chicken Rice Set, RM15.90
The set meal with which the complimentary hot lemon tea was served with - only available up till 2.30 p.m. 

A perfectly shaped dome of good quality rice, served with the whole thigh of Kapitan chicken, 3 pieces of battered deep-fried vegetables, and lots of mini vegetable keropok. 

The chicken was heavily spiced, somewhat akin to rendang, but with lemongrass infused in it. I did not exactly fall in love with it, though my friend S kind of liked it. Eggplant and okra were encased in crispy crust ... hmn .... I didn't know why but I peeled off the batter and merely ate the vegetables inside. Lol. 

 Madurese Chicken Satay, RM11.90

This was chicken, but the meat must have been very heavily marinated till it became dark brown in colour! The chicken skewers were reasonable in size, and we counted 7 of them altogether. 

Indeed the flavours of the meat were strong and sweet, and because there was sugar sprinkled on the surface, there was a slight crackling texture as I bit into the meat. The meat was lean, and luckily not too dry. 

The peanut gravy had a tangy flavour .... which was unlike the ordinary satay that we were accustomed with. And you don't actually need to dip the satay because it was already well-flavoured on its own. 

Both S and I enjoyed munching on the mini vegetable keropok though. 
 
Hot and Sour Szechuan Soup, RM14.90

The soup was real tangy .... and I liked the consistency. The ingredients used were reasonable, and enough to provide texture to the dish. There were diced prawns, tofu, chicken, and mushrooms in there. It wasn't really spicy, but I liked the fact that it was served hot from the wok. What I found a bit annoying was that I kept biting into bits on chopped garlic in the soup .... hmn ......

We paid RM51.60 for our meal, inclusive of 6% GST.


2 comments:

  1. I also dislike the presence of garlic in soups. But glad that the meal was passable. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup .... not that great, but passable.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...