Sunday, July 19, 2015

Stir-fried Kolo Mee

This packet of kolo mee is from Mom's favourite stall at the Kenyalang Wet Market - Kim Sen, stall 24. Mom likes the generous servings - huge amounts of noodles and lots of char siew. Mom calls it Ah Pek's kolo mee ...... because the vendor is an old man.

For me, Ah Pek's kolo mee just tastes so-so. It's certainly not my favourite. But still, as I zoomed the camera towards the noodles, I could smell the very enticing aroma of the shallot oil and I could not help but salivate. That's the power of kolo mee. Lol.

Kim Sen Kolo Mee, RM3.00

Some auntie at the market shared with Mom that she always stir-fried kolo mee with egg and vegetables. We had never done this at home. And Mom decided to try it out. Back home, she heated up the wok and cracked in an egg, and added in some crunchy beansprouts and some crinkly mustard. Then she threw in the whole packet of ready-to-eat kolo mee and very quickly breakfast was ready to be served. 

 Stir-fried kolo mee 

Hmn ..... stir-frying the noodles somewhat altered the taste and it lost the flavour of the aromatic shallot oil, though I liked the crunchy addition of the vegetables. Mom seemed to like the noodles, but I still preferred the kolo mee in its original form. :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...