Saturday, November 21, 2015

Lepau Restaurant, Kuching

I've wanted to come to Lepau Restaurant for a long time! Ever since moving back to Kuching, I've not had my fill of ethnic food. Oh how I used to love to eat nuba laya and the other Kelabit dishes at The Summit in Miri!!

So it was the last day of school, and we had planned to end the academic year with a luncheon. The 5 of us went to Lepau Restaurant - a restaurant serving authentic Kayan cuisine. It is open from 11.30 a.m. The staff was very helpful, and was careful with our orders. She also came back to ask us for feedback of the food, which we provided willingly. She also introduced us to the proprietor of the restaurant, a Kayan lady by the name of Roslyn.

Wrapped rice
Fragrant and soft, I would love it to be hotter.

Ayam pansuh
The soup was very delicious, the meat tender; we commented on the lack of tapioca leaves in the dish; the staff told us that tapioca leaves were just stuffed into the bamboo receptacle as a cover, and not used as an ingredient by itself to cook the dish; she offered to bring us more tapioca leaves 

Cucumber leaves stirfry
We got this off the food counter; at Lepau, there is pre-cooked food available; one could actually eat or takeaway rice and dishes for a quick meal. This portion was RM1.50 only! And it was really very tasty. Yummy.

Tempoyak with anchovies
C loved this - so subtle with the taste of durians, salty from the achovies and slightly tangy; C scrapped the plate clean with her spoon. Lol. :)) 

Tapioca leaves stirfry
A bit dry and lacking the punch .... not sure why. So my friend S was telling the staff that she had eaten better versions of this dish ..... 

Complimentary!!
The owner, Roslyn went into the kitchen and cooked for us a small complimentary bowl of tapioca leaves!! Thank you!! Because it was served straight from the wok, it was piping hot, and I had my fill of this vegetables .... which of course, tasted much better than the first dish - softer, saltier and sweeter. :))  

Kan mixed vegetables
This dish was yummy .... but it was a bit too salty 

Umai
Tasted good! My only complaint was that the fish was too little ... I could literally count the pieces! 

Terung Dayak and fish soup
We could choose the fish to go into the soup - Patin, Sultan or Tilapia. I did not like Patin. Sultan had too many bones, so I chose Tilapia. The soup was clear, and aromatic with the taste of the eggplant and the fish was fresh. S loved this dish. 

Together with the food and 5 drinks, we paid RM109.30. Very reasonable. I am coming back. :)) 
Happy hols! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...