Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pasar Malam Goodies : Prawn Fritters & Putu Mayang

Today upon reaching the pasar malam, I was greeted by the sight of these colourful bougainvillea. I couldn't resist snapping a shot. But too bad, it was blurred.

Colourful bougainvillea

My friend discovered a stall selling deep-fried fritters. This lady sells cucur ikan bilis, pisang goreng, buah sukun goreng, deep-fried prawns on skewers, and deep-chicken parts ... like ... the bishops nose.

Her star item has to be the prawn fritters. It's flat and round, approximately 10cm in diameters. It's just basically spring onion in batter and deep-fried, and topped with a prawn in shell.


Despite the humble ingredients, this prawn fritter is fantastic. It's really tasty, crispy and chewy at the same time. The single piece of prawn is sweet.


3 pieces of prawn fritters sells for only RM1.00. This stall is at the far end of the pasar malam. The lady is a newcomer to the pasar malam, having set up her business less than 2 months ago.

Today, we also discovered putu mayang, an Indian dessert which looks like beehoon, but is in fact made from steamed rice flour.

I'd never seen putu mayang being sold here before, so I decided to give it a try. So I bought 3 pieces for RM1.00.

Putu mayang iwth sweetened grated coconut

I was disappointed with the putu mayang because the strands of flour were clumped together. I liked them in loose strands. I won't be going back to this stall for putu mayang in the future.

Well, these are our two new discoveries this week at our regular pasar malam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...