Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sardine Rolls

I asked Mom to make me some sardine rolls today. She agreed, even though she disliked those little fishes. Mom wouldn't eat sardines but she did not mind making them for me.

I made the filling myself. I just mashed up the little sardines, chopped up some onions and chillies. Then I sauteed the chopped onions and chillies and quickly stir-fried the sardines. My little niece said it smelt yuck ;p. What does she know, anyway. She's a kid. ;p

Sardine filling

Mom made the short-crust pastry for me. She rolled the pastry into a flat square and filled it up with the sardine filling. Then the pastry is rolled up and and the edges are sealed.

Short-crust pastry

I pressed the edges with a fork, and then made little slits on top before brushing the pastry with a mixture of beaten eggs and milk.

Sealed short-crust pastry with sardine filling

The whole tray is baked in the oven for about 20 minutes.

A tray of sardine rolls

Very quickly I could taste my homemade sardine rolls.

A sardine roll, fresh from the oven

To me, it's great to have freshly-baked sardine rolls and a cup of coffee for lunch.

. . . Yum . . .

Since Mom did not eat sardines, she made some scones for herself.

Homemade scones

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...