Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Salam Berjerebu ... Good Hazy Morning

The haze was really bad this morning. For the first time since a week ago, my throat felt dry and uncomfortable. I should buy a mask, if only they are not sold out.

My students had their usual roll call at the courtyard this morning. All of us were exposed to the filthy air. We tried to get it over and done quickly. But it was still quite unbearable, to have stood there in the open air, for about 20 minutes.

Being August, it's Independence Month in the school, where we get students to sing patriotic songs and wave their Jalur Gemilang. This morning, while they were singing Tanggal 31 and waving their flags in the haze, I thought it was rather silly to proclaim one's undying commitment to the country in such hazardous environment.


The emcee should have greeted everyone with :

Good hazy morning I bid to one and all . . .

or

Selamat pagi. Salam perpaduan, salam Satu Malaysia dan salam berjerebu.


Some photographs that I took before 7.30 a.m. this morning.




We need an uber heavy rain to wash away all the dirty particles in the air. Plus, my sources said that water will be rationed starting today. How far is it true, I do not know. Yesterday's Borneo Post said that in Kuching :

Therefore, the people can expect low water pressure in the coming days as Kuching Water Board (KWB) tries to save water supply by 10 to 12 per cent, Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr George Chan said yesterday.

Well, nevertheless, I did store a bit of water in the house, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...