Thursday, August 20, 2009

Table Of Glory 乒乓圆

Joshua Ang in Table Of Glory
(Pic Sourcce : mediacorptv.sg)


I thought this drama would be like Beach.Ball.Babes, which I did not like at all. And so, I began watching Table Of Glory with some prejudice.

Well, the opening scene did not engage and captivate at all, as it focused on a bunch of old folks exercising at the park. Heck. I thought it was supposed to be about table tennis. Where was the energy?

Then came in the younger characters - He Shengwu (Joshua Ang), Mai Xiaofen (Teresa Tseng) and a ghostly plot. Lol. For a while, I thought I was watching a horror flick. It was only a few episodes later that the audience would find out that the "ghosts" were tricks played by Fat Cat to force He Yingxiong (Zheng Geping) to sell his shop. Well, the extent that people would go to in order to achieve their ends!!

Anyway, the first 7 episodes were somewhat quite insignificant to me. But after that, the story picked up.

I liked the character of Lin Dadi (Zhang Wenxiang), the caretaker of the sports premise. He was apparently a promising table tennis player once in a while, and I wondered what led to his downfall. It was also suggested that he had a relationship with the coach, Zhang Yao. So what happened between them? Was he really insane? Were the techniques that he taught Shengwu applicable? It was so ironical that this madman could produce a "disciple" who could win a table tennis tournament.

My heart went out for He Shengwu. He was so sullen, like a little boy who could not get over the lost of his mother. Competitive sports did not bring him joy. He just wanted to play table tennis. How naive and innocent he was!

I liked the Mai Tiantian and He Yingxiong scenes. They were really funny. I liked especially the antics of He Yingxiong to impress Tiantian. Hilarious.

I did not mind the Zhang Ziyi (Kola Zhou) and He Jiajun (Dai Yangtian) characters, though I thought that Dai Yangtian looked too mature for the role, compared to Joshua Ang. Nevertheless, I did think that Dai Yangtian portrayed his role quite well.

Of course, shots of the movements of the tiny ping pong balls were exaggerated - they reminded me of some Stephen Chow movie. Lol.

The ending? Hmn. I kinda knew that Shengwu would win the competition.

But what happened to the annoying Auntie Watermelon? What happened to Liu Yu as she lost to Mai Xiaofen? What happened to Jiang Xian?

I would say that I enjoyed Table Of Glory more than I did Beach.Ball.Babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...