Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dinner @ 99 Cafe

My friend and I ate at 99 Cafe last night. Cafe 99 is located at the Boulevard Commercial Centre intersection here in Miri.

I always see a lot of people eating there, but I have never eaten there before.

There were a number of stalls there, selling many types of food like economy rice, chicken rice, porridge, dim sum, and others.

Having never eaten there before, I did not really know what to order. I did not know what is the specialty there. And for me, the menu displays were not very clear. I see people eating laksa and lalapan, but I could not locate the stalls that sold them. At the end of my meal, I saw satay being served, yet I had earlier failed to even notice that there was a satay man at a corner.

Having walked from stall to stall for a few times, I settled on the yong tau foo and glass noodle soup. It was quite ordinary, something you will be able to order from any other stalls at any other cafe. It was RM4.50 a bowl.

Yong tau foo & glass noodle soup

My friend also did not know what to order. She ended up ordering mee sua with red wine chicken soup, a Foochow specialty, also RM4.50 a bowl. I had a spoonful of the soup, and it was sweet with the taste of red wine evident.

Mee sua with red wine

We also ordered some snacks from a stall outside the shop. The deep-fried seafood tofu was RM3.00 for four pieces. We both did not like them as they tasted like fishballs. Nothing special. The deep-fried siu mai was superb, however. 4 pieces sold for RM4.50. The famous Kuching Sim Kwang Heng siu mai were deep-fried till they were crispy on the outside. Best eaten hot, dipped in chilli sauce.

Deep-fried siew mai and seafood tofu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...