Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kompia Snack

There's a lady who goes around town with her basket of kompia for sell. The kompia is deep-fried, then stuffed with a spiced minced pork filling.


Whenever I see her, I will buy her kompia. Deep fried, the taste and texture of the kompia is akin to that of a doughnut. The filling is flavoured with 5-spice powder, and is a delightful companion to the pastry.

It has been a long time since I saw the lady who usually moves around from one coffee shop to another. But thankfully, I have friends who still see her once in a while. A**** will buy me a piece or two whenever she comes across the Kompia Lady, as we like to call her.



A**** and I have the habit of refrigerating the kompias and then heating them up in the toaster whenever we feel like having a yummilicious snack. They still taste surprisingly good, even after sitting in the fridge for a day or two. In fact, toasting makes the pastry even crispier.

So next time when an elderly lady approaches you to ask whether you want to buy kompia, do give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...