Friday, December 11, 2009

Absorbed In Science For A Day

I am not particularly fond of Science. I really have no head for Science. So when Aunt B** suggested to go to the Science Centre, I was not really keen. However, I decided to accommodate her. And since I had never been there before, I agreed to go with her.

Aunt B** and I went there by ourselves as Aunt A****** was working. Aunt B** appointed me the novice tourist guide. Lol.

So, we took the MRT right up to Jurong East. Then we took Bus 335 which brought us to the Science Centre, which was only 2 bus stops away. Easy as a pie.

Entrance
Singapore Science Centre


Upon entering the centre, you will be greeted by a T-Rex.

Tyrannosaurus Rex

We paid about SGD21.00 per pax, for the entrance to the Science Centre, and Body Worlds & The Cycle of Life Exhibition.

Almost all the displays at the Science Centre are interactive. You really need a lot of time to go through each and every one of the items. By the end of your visit, I'm sure you will learn a whole lot more about science and technology.

Though Aunt B** and I spent the entire day there, we did not have the time nor interest to go through every exhibit. Nor do I understand some of the explanatory notes placed near the exhibits. Lol. I'm just not a Science person.

I enjoyed The Mind's Eye which had optical illusions displays, the Sounds Exhibition where you can tinkle with all the exhibits and learn about levels and projection of noises, the Climate Change Exhibition, and the Human Body Exhibition.

Gunther von Hagens' Body Worlds & The Cycle of Life is an entirely new experience for me. I could not believe that the exhibits were authentic human specimens!! However, it did not feel morbid at all! It felt more scientific and informative.

Body Worlds & The Cycle of Life
The Science Centre Annexe

Through a method called plastination, the post-mortal human body is preserved and positioned to reveal its inner anatomical structures.
(Pic source : http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/plastination/method_plastination.html)

This particular exhibition in Singapore is about the cycle of life, and traces the body living from conception to old age.

For me, it is very interesting to see the anatomy of the human body, and it certainly made me more aware of my own being.

I'm so glad I went to this exhibition. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...