Saturday, December 12, 2009

Not A Cinderella

My friend and I met up recently. Initially, I did not know whether I should look him up or not. After all, we had not been communicating for a few months.

I finally sent him a text message and an email. It was up to him to reply. He could choose to ignore it for all I care, but at least I tried to contact him.

However, I forgot to include my name in the text message and he thought I was somebody else. Hmn.

After he got my identity sorted out, he agreed to meet up. Surprise, surprise!

Anyway, we arranged to meet at Borders. Minutes before that I was consumed with anxiety, having not met for years. Would I still recognise him? Would he recognise me? What would he think of me? Would he be happy to see me?

He said he'd browse at the Economics section. So I located the shelves and made my way there. And there he was like he said he would be, browsing amongst the Economics books indeed. He still looked the same, except that his hair was peppered with wise strands of white now.

I'm glad there was no awkwardness at all. It felt like meeting an old, old friend - we'd after all known each other for 7 long years.

It was sure good to catch up over dinner. It was much better, of course, than communicating via email, when exchanges seemed to get so mundane after a while that it was upsetting.

I wanted the night to last. But all too soon, it was time to go home. I had a curfew. So it felt a bit like Cinderella. ;))) Except that I would be leaving my crocs behind, instead of some fancy glass slipper. ;)))

Anyway, I enjoyed myself lots. I hope he did too.

Thanks C*******, for meeting me, and for a jolly good time. See you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...