Thursday, December 31, 2009

Starting Work On The Last Day Of The Year

I don't believe how fast time flies. Blink, blink, blink. One year has passed and tomorrow comes 2010. Sigh.

Today was our first staff meeting to start off the new academic year. My 11th year. This time, I am embarrassed to say that I'm not enthusiastic, to say the least. My morale is at an all time low.

I glanced around the meeting room, envious of the fresh young faces around me. There were teachers who were newly posted to my school - so hopeful to start afresh in a new environment. There were fresh graduates, just about to begin their teaching careers - so energetic and enthusiastic to start. There was an experienced teacher who just got promoted to be Head of the Department. "I'm already thinking about my lessons Monday," she enthused. And there was me - tired, bored, and just going through the motions.

To my horror, registration for the students was YESTERDAY! And I did not even go to school for it. I expected to be called into the Principal's office. I expected to be grilled about missing a day at work. However, none of that happened. For I had not a single good reason to defend myself. I simply forgot about it. I was out shopping, for goodness' sake! Parkson Members' Day! 5 times Bonuslink points! Buy RM150, get RM20 vouchers!

Maybe we had not OFFICIALLY begun the school session, and that was why I got away. Or perhaps the Principal thought I was doing some work for the Exams Board. He knew I was involved in the exams. Whatever it was, he should know that I did not play truant on purpose.

The first piece of work that I attended to was to complete a Form 6 data sheet which was requested by the State Education Department. I had to pore the master timetable to compile information, and as I scanned through the timetable, I had difficulty recalling names of colleagues. Really, filling in the form took me at least 2 hours. Sigh. I thought I was efficient.

The great part of school today was catching up - with the teachers, the support staff, the students, the parents. I really miss a former colleague, R**** who got transferred to Limbang. She was a good friend, and she was really fun to hang out with. I also miss my former fifth formers, in particular the best girl R****, who was quite a character.

Every year, I get to teach the best form five class. For 2 years in a row, the best form five classes were really enjoyable to teach. This year, however, I have my reservations. Other teachers have told me stories - attitude problems, segregation problems. So, I am prejudiced even before I step into the classroom.

A good news however, was that 2 sixth formers would be going off to continue their education elsewhere. Hallelujah! They'd both given me lots of heartache last year. And I really thank God that they would be leaving for good. Bye, kids! Go make nuisance elsewhere.

Well, I guess I cannot really concentrate on school as yet, for I have not wound up my work with the exams. They say that women are good at multi-tasking. For me, I prefer to do one thing at one time.

Fancy starting school work on the last day of the year. Anyway, happy new year 2010, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...