Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chettinad Cuisine @ Vishal Curry House

I cannot distinct between types of Indian food. Indian food means well, Indian food. But recently, I learned that there's more to Indian cuisine than just roti canai and dhal curry.

Bro has been raving about a fried fish at Vishal Curry House at Brickfields, and so he got me curious. He said that he ordered fried fish every time he ate at Vishal's.

Vishal Curry House is renowned for their authentic Chettinad cuisine.

Chettinad? What's that? Well, I eventually learned that Chettinad is a region in Southern India, the homeland of the Chettiar community, who are famed for banking, architecture and food. Chettinad cuisine is essentially characterised by the generous use of aromatics in cooking the food.

The restaurant setting is simple, and you can tell straightaway that this place provides good food at reasonable prices. What's special at Vishal's? Well, the meals are served on banana leaves.

I ordered a chicken briyani rice set. It came with a chicken drumstick and a hard-boiled egg embedded inside. The rice was quite delicious. The spices were not overpowering at all.

Chicken Briyani

Bro ordered the fried fish rice set, as usual. The fish is spiced and then deep-fried. Indeed, the fish is crispy on the outside and succulent on the inside. Really yum.

Fried Fish

While, sistb ordered Chicken Varuval. The chicken is tender and moist, and flavoured with lots of spice paste.

Chicken Varuval

At Vishal's, the side dishes came in a tiffin container. I was amazed by the variety of side dishes served.

Potato masala

I have no idea what is the name of this dish : It has chick peas and okra

Cucumber raita

Again, I do not know what vegetable this is

I liked this chicken curry gravy a lot. It was so tasty that I poured the whole bowl on my rice.

Chicken curry gravy

Of course, no meal is complete without a pappadum.

Pappadum

Extra curry gravy is provided as well. Ladle as much as you like to flavour your rice.

There was also dessert! Payasam was the dessert of the day. But it was really too sweet for my liking. Instead, I had the mango lassi. It was smooth and thick, but again, I found it to be a bit to sweet.

Payasam

I enjoyed the meal a lot, and would love to go back for more as there are still lots on the menu to try! Best of all, no msg used in cooking the food! ;))

Yay!! No MSG!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...