Friday, June 7, 2013

Bubble Tea : Dare I?

Recently, maleic acid has been found in 15 starch-based products in Singapore, mainly in tapioca starch balls imported from Taiwan. It is an ingredient so essential in a glass of Pearl Bubble Tea. Maleic acid is not usually used in food products, but is used to create a chewy or Q effect in food. When taken in the long-term, maleic acid causes kidney damage.

Because of that many bubble tea houses have issued statements that the pearl balls used in their establishments are safe for consumption. For example, Ochado Malaysia, Ding Tea Malaysia and Chatime Malaysia are amongst those which issued statements on their Facebook pages.

"Don't drink Bubble Tea," my parents warned me.

But the other day, when I was shopping at the Pavillion .... I had to make my way to my favourite hang-out spot. I loved to sit outside the outlet at the table nearest to the glass panel ... where I can look down and watch people. I can stay here for hours, just looking at the passers-by.

A regular pearl bubble tea, RM5.90 and popcorn chicken, RM6.90 for me

Despite the bubble tea scare, Chatime still gets a substantial number of customers, as I observed during the few hours I was there. At any time, there would be people ordering beverages ... and sometimes, there would even be queues.

I still love the taste of the tea .... but I thought the pearls weren't as tasty as before. The popcorn chicken was also a bit too salty.

But I just loved the location .... really prime for people-watching, and to spend some time in solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...