Saturday, June 22, 2013

Laksa @ 2020 Cafe

Laksa is one of the popular dishes at 2020 Cafe.

Laksa

I liked the thicker rice vermicelli noodles which were used. When I walked past the shop one afternoon, I saw the staff unwrapping packets and packets of yellow and red plastic from the rice vermicelli and soaked them in a huge pail. The packaging looked familiar to me, and I recognised that it was the Kong Moon brand of rice vermicelli, a good quality noodle which we also liked to use at home.

It had all the right condiments such as blanched beansprouts and prawns, shredded chicken and egg omelette, and cilantro. The laksa gravy on that day was fragrant and just lemak enough. I squeezed into the laksa an entire piece of lime and enjoyed the noodles a lot. In fact, I actually prefer the laksa here compared to many other places in Miri.

5 comments:

  1. My father and I love it, too.We eat it at least twice every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know that! :)) Cause many of my friends do not like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laksa is one of the dishes I look forward to most when visiting Miri (so deprived in the UK!). We have often eaten at 20/20. What do you mean 'just lemak enough'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemak is a Malay word which means "fatty". But when used to describe food, it is more aptly translated as "having a rich taste". For curries and laksa, when we say that it is "lemak", it means that the gravy tastes rich, naturally sweet and satisfying, and with a good consistency. This is as a result of the generous use of thick coconut milk.Too little coconut milk, and the sweetness and richness won't be evident in the broth. Too diluted the coconut milk, then the gravy will be too diluted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I can see how that description fits.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...