Saturday, June 8, 2013

Nasi Kerabu From The Pasar Tani

We were supposed to only be going for a walk downstairs. We walked to the car to replace the old road tax sticker with a new one. Then on impulse, we drove to the Pasar Tani nearby to buy some food. I did not even have money with me, but luckily, Bro had his wallet.

It was rather late already, and there were lots of people at the market. There was a local tv production crew shooting a scene ... and they attracted much attention. I had not much interest in that .... I proceeded to buy some fresh meat and vegetable produce ..... and then I walked by a stall selling Nasi Kerabu. Yippee, I thought. Not to be missed.

Nasi Kerabu is a Malaysian East Coast favourite ... which I only started to learn to eat when I first pursued my studies in Kuala Lumpur many years ago. I love it with as much herbs and raw vegetables as possible, like ginger flower, daun kesum, cabbage, long beans, beansprouts, and so on. The raw vegetables really taste refreshing and just go so well with the spicy, slightly tangy and pungent condiments.

Anyway, the vendor was a young man, and he was so polite. Customers could choose their preferred "sides" for their Nasi Kerabu, as there were fried chicken, spiced chicken, fried fish, salted egg, stuffed chillies, to name a few. I chose fried chicken and salted egg.

Then he proceeded to assemble my rice. A bowl of rice, and a spoonful of raw mixed vegetables, a spoonful of grated coconut and fish flakes, a spoonful of sambal, and a spoonful of chilli condiment. He placed into the packet a deep-fried chicken drumstick, half a boiled salted egg, some fish crackers, and then proceeded to wrap up the whole package.

Nasi Kerabu, RM6.00

Back home, I unwrapped my package of rice ... and tucked into it with delight. Yummm ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...