Sunday, September 1, 2013

Day 2 : Setting My Tummy On Fire

We had dinner at the <华天美食广场> or Hua Tian Restaurant. It's just a restaurant at the hotel itself, and it serves Hunanese delights.

Well, first up, I did like to the look of this hotel. It was brightly lit, spacious, and looked very clean. A long counter line one side of the restaurant, and I could see the chefs dishing out piping hot food and I anticipated dinner!

Anyway, according to MH, this restaurant caters to the local people, and this was a good chance to sample local dishes in the most authentic sense. Yippee. That's what I was excited about. Local flavours.

Indeed, the Hunanese are fond of spicy food .... and that night, we had a feast of chillies! Everything was cooked in chillies!!! But then this was one of my favourite dinners for the whole trip.

 Mushroom Hotpot
On a bed of cabbage were mushrooms in a spicy broth. The broth was spicy and quite heavy in flavour ...

 Kelp soup
I quite loved to chew on the thin strips of bright green kelp .... it kind of felt like eating a type of crunchy noodle. This was the only dish without chillies. 

 Anchovies & Chilli Deep-fry
I loved this appetising dish ... the salty fishes were great to eat with rice. 

Soft Tofu in Spicy Minced Pork Gravy
Very delicious melt-in-the-mouth tofu was paired with this delicious and spicy minced pork sauce .. I loved it

 Chilli and egg stir-fry
This was really spicy ... but I loved the flavour of the green chillies. 

Chilli, Leek and Pork Belly Stir-fry
Another of my favourite dish .... very spicy and fragrant and satisfying to eat with rice

Sit-fried shredded potatoes
Look at how perfectly julienned these potatoes were ... it seemed like each shred was of the same length and size! The potatoes were crunchy in texture and lightly flavoured ... very pleasant to eat indeed. 

Well, dinner was MOST satisfying ..... very shiok as spicy food really was very appetising and went very well with rice. Though palatable, that many fiery dishes set fire to my tummy .... and I could feel its warmth in my tummy till the next day!

6 comments:

  1. That looks a very mouth-watering meal and very much up my street. The anchovy dish sounds very appealing. I hope you are enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Philip. The food was as authentic as I could get! This was one of the best meals for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not try authentic food in Hunan. All my tour-mates were scared of spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. Though I loved spicy food, I ate with caution. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. great sharing on the trip. keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, more posts to follow. stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...