Sunday, September 22, 2013

Day 8 : Last Night At Changsha

I was asleep throughout most of the journey after lunch .... yes, I was so tired. We finally reached Changsha at 4.30 p.m. We went to a museum .... but it was closed already. Then MH brought us to a Shopping Street near Changsha's ID Mall. There was a major construction along the street .... so it did not seem so great to walk along it. We walked a bit and turned back. 

There was a famous Stinky Tofu stall here .... the most authentic Stinky Tofu in Changsha according to some. But the queue was long and we did not want to wait ..... 

The queue for Stinky Tofu ... ID Mall was just at the back

ID Mall looked modern and sold many international labels such as MUJI, Uniqlo, Esprit, Guess and so on. We did not want to shop. So we headed to dinner instead. 

It was our final dinner at Changsha as we were leaving early the next morning. Dinner was at this eatery named Tanzhou Dufu Restaurant. We had ...

Kelp soup

Steamed Egg Custard
The egg custard with steamed to perfection ... it tasted rich and creamy, and was soft like tofu. Very nice.

Steamed cabbage with ham 
Well .... this dish looked impressive; the vegetables were crunchy ... and the ham actually tasted quite good - salty and tasty. Only that I wished there were more meat on the ham instead of the fat.

Green chilli, leek and pork stirfry
I loved this dish, my favourite. The vegetables were crunchy, and their taste complemented each other. The marinated pork was also tender and yum. This spicy dish was great to eat with rice.

Fish hot pot
There were deep-fried fish in the pot ... and they were cooked in a spicy fermented bean paste sauce. The flavours would have been intense if not for the cucumbers inside the pot. The cucumbers brought to the dish a certain freshness and sweetness .... and hence the dish was rather enjoyable. I liked it. 

Lettuce Stirfry
This lettuce was crispy, crunchy ... and had a fragrant smell to it .... not bad.

Hmn ..... over this trip, I thought the food here in Hunan was rather enjoyable; I loved the spiciness of the dishes which were very great to eat with rice. My only complaint would be that the food was too greasy .... I could always see the oil at the bottom of the plate or bowl! It was scary ... and if one continued to eat like this, he or she would end up with blocked arteries.  

See the oil residue .... eeewww 

Well, it was not bad an end to a trip .... at least I did not end up in hospital this time. :P 

After dinner, we were transported to our hotel, the Xiangyun Shanshui Hotel where we stayed on our first night. I turned in immediately after a hot shower .... I was really tired and I had 2 flights to catch early the next morning. 

P/S : In 2006, I went to Nanking .... and suffered a serious food poisoning. I ended up in the hospital for a full day for treatment. It was a very memorable experience indeed. 



2 comments:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...