Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Funny Signs I Saw

Well, as you would have probably read, I played tourist last holiday and visited China. My literacy in Chinese was very poor. I could only read some words in Chinese ... and therefore, I would tend to be on the look out for English signs.

But then, English was not a language used in China ... the locals certainly did not need them at all. I reckon that's why no one even realised how mangled up English language was in China.

These were some hilarious moments when I encountered incomprehensible signs, written in the most unexpected of ways. Some at top scenic or tourist areas too!


THE WINNER :

At Fu Rong Old Town
Err? Love toilet? Lol ..... 


SECOND PRIZE :

At Dragon Cave
Geez. They did not have "Import" written at the entrance. 


THIRD PRIZE :

At Yincheng Huatian Hotel
I burst out laughing as soon as I walked into the restaurant. 


CONSOLATION PRIZES : 

 At Yincheng Huatian
Eew .... intestines for breakfast? I'd take that sausage, thank you. 

At Yincheng Huatian
Lol ... they meant radish cubes

Lol .... turn down the volume 

 Lol ... place the linen on the headboard

 Overpriced pinhow cases .... lol

In between sightseeing .... these notices really made us laugh!! 

5 comments:

  1. I can see how the translation has gone wrong for all the signs - except love toilet. What was intended here?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL~~~ love toilet hahahahahahaha.. i don't know how did they come to that term for toilet...hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if translated it would be "For Use Of People With Special Needs" of "Specially For Use of People With Special Needs" ... not sure how that got translated to "Love Toilet". Lols.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a lot of those may be coming via Google Translate. I mean now it's much easier to just key into google translate and churn out the translated text, if you're illiterate in the other language. Can probably try and key in those words and see if the translated text sums up, then we'll be able to confirm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I suspected. But they should have had the translation checked and verified. We were brought to a jade showroom .... and the pieces of jewellery were tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars, but when I looked at the notices on the wall, written in bad English, well .... it immediately devalued all the sparkling jewels in there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...