Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wow Set Dinner @ Esquire Kitchen

We went to Midvalley City that evening .... and were looking for a place to eat dinner before we went to the property fair.

What do you want to eat? I asked Bro.

Nothing, he replied. Bah! That was his usual answer. :P

We had not eaten at Esquire Kitchen so far .... and so we headed there. No one was at the entrance to greet us nor to show us to our table. So unwelcoming, eh?

But hanged around there .... and saw a poster just beside the door. Esquire Kitchen was serving set meals ... and we thought we would go for that.

Since no one bothered to show us a table, we walked in and seated ourselves. Only then did someone come and assist, helping us bring a baby chair for Berry, and to show us the menu.

We already knew what we wanted. Wow Set A, I said. I was a little bit peeved by that time, actually.

A while later,  our food arrived. Wow Set A consisted of four dishes.

Dish 1 - Hot and spicy beancurd
Soft beancurd, minced pork and leeks were stir-fried in a spicy fermented bean paste sauce. This dish was sweet! And that spoilt it for me. In my mind, this dish should be spicy and savoury and shiok. Here at Esquire Kitchen, those 3 characteristics seemed missing. :(

Dish 2 - Hot and spicy glass noodle
Hmn .... since the sauce which was used to cook this dish was the same as the one in Dish 1, this was also sweet. Hmn .... I did not like this either. I was confident I could cook a tastier version of this dish myself! 

Dish 3 - String beans
This was alright .... but a bit too oily, eh? 

Dish 4 - Lemon chicken
The chicken tasted alright, fragrant, crispy and succulent; the sweet and tangy sauce was also alright, and was served separately. The portion was alright as well. 

Rice was ordered separately, at RM1.50 per bowl. Besides the dishes in the Set Meal, I ordered a bowl of Tong Po Meat. 

Tong Po Meat, RM19.00
Now, this dish I liked a lot. It was sweet and savoury, and had the very distinctive flavour and fragrance of mei  gan cai. The cuts of pork belly was lean and chunky, and the meat tender. Only that it would be even better if the gravy would be slightly thicker. Sil and I polished off this dish with our rice .... :P

We also ordered 3 glasses of hot Jasmine tea. For our food and beverage, we paid RM90.80. Sales tax and service tax made up the rest of the bill, which totaled RM105.35. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...