Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Campbell Popiah @ Hutong Lot 10

All the good food are gathered at Hutong Lot 10. It's even opened a food court in Guangzhou, China, though I haven't the faintest idea what's sold there.

At Hutong Lot 10, Campbell Popiah is sold. It's supposedly a household name, where popiah is concerned. I stumbled upon the stall by accident, as I was coming out from the Isetan Food Mart. Indeed, I find the food court a labyrinth .... cause after I walked around surveying what I wanted to eat, I could not find the Campbell Popiah stall any longer!!

So to help me locate the stall, I walked back to the Isetan Food Mart only to exit from it once more. There, my Campbell Popiah stall was right in front of me.

Since I was early, I did not need to queue. I placed my order for a set of mini popiah and watched the man assemble my popiah. First the placed on the table top 2 round and thin crepe-like pastry. Then he spreaded the dark sauce and the chilli sauce in circular motion to cover the entire surface. Then, onto that was place the ingredients, made up of lettuce, raw bean sprouts, diced long beans, shredded cucumbers, chopped tofu bits, chopped peanuts, deep-fried shallots, and finally, the braised shredded jicama. The whole thing was then rolled up and cut into 3 portions.

Campbell Mini Popiah, RM5.70

What I like about the popiah was the thin and yet elastic pastry, the well-balanced flavour of all the ingredients and the crunchy texture of the vegetables. Since they were tiny in size, they made a very light eat. They were suitable for the weight-conscious, or those just wanting a light snack. I also think that the popiahs should be consumed almost immediately to prevent the pastry skin from being soggy. That would ruin the taste, texture and the whole experience. A set of 2 popiahs cost RM5.40. Add that to 6% of government tax, and be expected to pay RM5.70 for your food. Recommended!

Psst .... since the popiahs were so small in portion ... I had also ordered Hon Kee's raw fish porridge. I'd written about the porridge before. Read here.

Hon Kee Raw Fish Porridge

The porridge still tasted very good .... only now, it cost RM8.90.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...