Saturday, September 28, 2013

Iz Jeruk

I've always seen people eating these pickles at the airport ... and the other day, I thought I'd try some. Hmn ... there were lots of different types of fruits, mostly pickled.

I stood in front of the kiosk for a while to scanned the fruits, and finally picked up a round plastic container. With the tongs provided, I picked up the pieces of fruits gingerly. I took pineapples, guava, shredded pickled papaya and 3 types of mangoes ...

Then I scanned at the sauces ... but was undecided about which ones to eat with my fruits. "Which one do you recommend?" I asked the staff.

"Do you prefer a spicy or non-spicy sauce?" he asked me.

"Spicy," I said.

He then recommended me the spicy mango sauce ....

Crunchy pickles with spicy mango sauce ... 

I paid near RM10.00 for my bowl of fruits, sat down .... and poked at my fruits with a skewer.

Now ... let's see. The mango sauce had a pungent smell. It, in fact, was smelly. I was sure there was prawn paste in there. It was spicy, and slightly sweet .... but I was not sure whether there was any mango in there at all. Perhaps it was overpowered by the prominent smell of prawn paste. For those who enjoy prawn paste, you would probably enjoy this sauce.

Well, I did not mind the smell ... I loved belacan after all. So I quite enjoyed my smelly fruit bowl. Lol. The pineapples were fresh, sweet, juicy and crunchy. I loved their refreshing taste. Of the 3 types of mangoes I took, I preferred the 2 pickled ones. They were tangy, crunchy and very appetising. I also liked the pickled papayas which were pickled with black pepper. I never knew that papaya and black pepper went so well. The guava, however, was crunchy but no sweet. Dad grew better guavas in our backyard. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...