Thursday, September 5, 2013

Day 4 : Breakfast

MH told us not to look forward too much to breakfast. It would not be an elaborate affair, he warned. So I set my expectations low. Unexpectedly then, I ended up enjoying breakfast a lot!

As early as 7.00 a.m., tour groups started assembling at the lobby, to prepare for their departure. Most groups would set off for the next destination at 8.00 a.m. So between 7.00 a.m. and 8.00 a.m., all of the tourists would be having their breakfast. It was peak hour!

Our dining hall was on the second floor, at an adjacent building. When we entered the dining hall, a snaking queue had formed at the buffet spread. We joined in the slow-moving queue ... and waited some 10 minutes before we reached the food.

I had ....

Porridge
The porridge looked plain, but it sure smelled fragrant. I loved the consistency very much. I was not sure what had made it yellow .... was it cornmeal  and egg, or split mung beans or millet ...... heck, I really did not know. I was also unsure whether it was eaten sweet or savoury. Probably, it could be eaten either way, judging from the jar of sugar just next to the porridge pot. But anyway, I had it savoury with some braised peanuts, youtiao, pickled mustard and pickled beans.

Youtiao, pickled mustard and pickled beans on the plate. I also got to try some cold noodles. 

Now, at the buffet table, the noodles were practically soaked in a tray filled with chilli oil in a dark shade of red, as if daring everyone to try it. Shreds of black fungus topped the noodles on the tray. Well, I dared myself to try the noodles. Chilli oil was no way as scary duck blood yesterday. So, I picked up some noodles and black fungus with my chopsticks. One slurp and I felt my mouth and tongue on fire. However, I found that the wheat noodles had got good texture ... not that springy but were very smooth indeed. The crunchy black fungus provided contrasting textures .... and hence complemented the noodles quite well. I quite liked the taste of the potent chilli oil which I thought flavoured the noodles beautifully. Very shiok indeed! I'd go for seconds, if I wasn't so full already! 


Other things to try included a mantou, a hard-boiled egg, a bun, cabbage stirfry, egg fried rice, noodle stirfry, braised peanuts.

The egg fried rice was rather tasty, but most of all I enjoyed the braised peanuts .... they were a bit hard, but I loved the crunch and the nutty flavour. They were so wonderful to eat with the porridge.

Goodness! I had eaten more than I should have .... sigh ...... *guilty* ... enough to fuel my day. My next destination - Furong Old Town! And we are going to beat the scary tourist crowd to get there first!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...