Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 7 : Dragon King Cave

According to legend, a Dragon King was said to live in this cave. Hence, it was called the Dragon King Cave. This cave was located 17 km east of the Wulingyuan Scenic Area. It was a limestone cave, said to be over 380 million years old. The cave was first discovered in 1979.

It was really hot that afternoon .... and after that elaborate lunch, I felt tired and sleepy. MH warned us that the trails might be challenging. He did not say why or how unfriendly it was ... and I was thinking of my experience at Mulu Cave. Back then at Mulu, I had to trek a distance before reaching the caves. Hmn ... walking under the hot weather was not inviting at all, and I was not much looking forward to it.

However, I worried for nothing. The cave entrance was just next to our car park. No trekking needed. The first thing that struck me at the entrance was the cool air that greeted me. Wow ... it was like walking into an air-conditioned room. The temperature was about 15 - 20 Degrees all year round. That made me even happier!

This cave  was about 30 km in length and 80 km wide. In there were 58 halls, 28 corridors, 15 mini waterfalls, 3 underground rivers, 2 mini lakes, and 45 ponds. Massive indeed!

Anyway, the formations of stalagtites and stalagmites were really a sight to behold. Their shapes and features were enhanced by coloured lighting, and given beautiful names too!

 凤凰吐珠
Can you see the phoenix with a pearl in its mouth?

 Some interesting formations here; looked like bamboo to me .. 

This one resembled a helmet .... 

There were lots of names and some of which I remembered were .... Corn on Cob, Bathing Monk, and 1000-year Lute .... and of course, we were shown the Dragon King's head and its tail. 

It was a long, long walk .... took us about an hour and a half to finish the trail ... but I enjoyed the walk very much. 

3 comments:

  1. When I was in the cave in winter, it was very warm. my tour guide told me that it is warm in winter and cool in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how the tour guide points out random shapes and gave them names. I was in Halong Bay recently and visited a major cave, there were something very naughty body part there. But all i saw a a cannon pointing to a hole at the other wall. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is interesting to know. I thought the cave would be freezing cold in winter!

    Names are attached to every structure, based on their resemblance ... but when they are too many, they lost their uniqueness. That was how I felt, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...