Friday, August 24, 2012

Pig's Head Meat

The pig's head reminds me of Lord of the Flies, where the imagery of an impaled pig's head is forever stuck there in my mind.

Ok. Let's not be gross. But people are actually fond of eating 猪头肉, literally translated to English as Pig's Head Meat.

Hmn ... I really do not know the butchery term for it ... but anyway, Second Aunt bought half a pig head. She said that it was really worth buying as it was really cheap.

She then braised the meat ... and gave me some to eat! 

A pig's head platter with the dips ...

Well, the different parts of the meat had different textures ... some were lean ... some were crunchy ... the skin was chewy ... but most of all, I loved the fatty cut of meat that melts in the mouth .... ahhhh ... those were just heavenly ...

Aunt's soy gravy was superb, not too salty and very fragrant. Likewise, the chilli and garlic vinegary dip enhanced the flavour of the meats. Loved this homemade goodness! Thanks, Auntie!!

2 comments:

  1. That's a dish that appeals to me. Have you ever had brawn before - a sort of meat loaf made from pig's head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brawn? No ... but I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...