Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Vadai @ Kenyalang Theatre & Commercial Centre

Just outside the Kenyalang Theatre and Commercial Complex is an Indian lady selling Indian treats which she makes herself. She's been there forever! And she speaks fluent Hokkien.

"How much?" I asked her, pointing to the vadai in a round tray on the plastic foldable table.

"5 pieces for RM2.00. How many pieces do you want?" she asked me.

"How many do you have?" I asked her. At a glance, I saw that there were only 4 pieces left in the tray, the previous customer having bought a lot.

"I still have some in here," she said. She reached for a black plastic bag under the table on the floor. She opened the bag and poured out some more of the cakes.

"I'll take RM2.00," I said. "Do you make these yourself?"

"Yes," replied and thanked me. Our whole transaction was carried out in Hokkien.

Vadai

I loved the vadai. The spices and seasoning were very subtle, but they resulted in very fragrant and tasty fritters. The more you eat, the more you'd get addicted to these very savoury snack. Yum. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...