Friday, August 31, 2012

Bakes @ Xiao Ba Wang

Dad went to place an order for steamed buns or baos at Xiao Ba Wang at Jalan Padungan the other day. And I tagged along. So while Dad was busy ordering, I browsed the covered trays on the shelves around the bakery and decided to buy myself ...

Pork Ham Bun, RM1.60
There were lots of these buns in the tray, compared to the other types of buns. So I assumed that this must have been popular among customers. Hence, I did not hesitate getting myself a piece. Well, it was essentially twin rolls of bread with a dollop mayonnaise atop each roll. Each roll has got a thin slice of ham coiled in it. Hmn ... Mom liked it, but I thought it was mere ordinary. 

Shao Bao, RM1.60
The pastry was crispy and rather flaky, and compactly filled with chewy bits of char siew. I liked it as the filling had texture and was tasty. My parents, however, preferred Chong Chon's. I thought it would not be fair to compare as the filling for the Chong Chon's pastries were entirely different. So, of course, if you are looking for char siew-filled shao bao, I would recommend these pastries from Xiao Ba Wang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...