Friday, August 3, 2012

Rice Dumplings From Bintulu

Well, en route to Sibu one time last year, my friends and I stopped at Seaview Cafe, Bintulu. There, besides noodles, we ordered a rice dumpling to share. Priced at RM4.00, this dumpling was packed with filling such as meat, salted egg yolk, mushroom, chestnut and a piece of yam. Taste wise, this rice dumpling was yum. All of us liked it.

So when W** said she was going to order rice dumplings from there, I immediately told her I'd like to purchase 4 pieces for my own consumption. SL, who is working in Bintulu, would pick the dumplings up on Friday afternoon before her drive up to Miri.

A dumpling wrapped in Pandan leaf

This is how it looks like inside ...
Bits of pork with a slice of mushroom, a small chunk of yam, and a piece of salted egg. The glutinous rice was soft and tasty, as it had absorbed the flavour from the Pandan leave.

W** thought the standard had dropped. She said it was nicer before. But to me, this rice dumpling was better than any that I'd bought and eaten from the shops here in Miri. Of course, Mom's rice dumpling is still the best. This year's dumpling festival came and went, and it did not coincide with my holidays. Hence, this year I did not eat a single of the rice dumplings that Mom made. She said she kept 2 pieces for me, stored in the freezer. Thanks, Mom! Still 2 weeks to go before I can come home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...