Monday, March 5, 2012

Hit By Water Crisis

Well, I did realise that water pressure was low today, but darn, I never expected there not be water. There were text messages flying around here and there throughout the day, and also messages left by people on Facebook to urge Mirians to reserve water. But I stubbornly refused to believe that it was true.

At 3.00 p.m., water pressure at my house got really low. My housemates urged me to shower in case water ran out. So I listened to them and showered obediently, with the little water that flowed from the pipe. I had even managed to wash my hair. I had to do my ablutions downstairs as there was no water upstairs by then.

Half an hour later, there was totally no water. Darn. According to most people, LAKU had shut down water supply due to oil leak. Sigh. We decided to go out to buy drinking water at the nearest mall. It was jammed and crowded as weekly shoppers stocked up their groceries. We headed straight for the mineral water section, but not surprisingly, there was none left on the shelves. A few cartons of 600ml bottles were available in stock, however, and we managed to purchase 3 cartons. Phew! Thank goodness.

Then, on a spur, we walked to the other side of the shopping mall where a pharmacy was located. There, we managed to get 2 more cartons of 1.5L bottles. So all in all, we yielded 5 cartons. Not bad, eh? We also bought some wet wipes as they could really come in handy.

Emergency Water Supply

Hmn. We thought, just in case, we'd have to get ourselves some food too. No water in the city. No water to cook and wash up. Who'd sell any food?? We'd have to prepare instant stuff that did not require much cooking and washing up. So, we headed next to the grocer's to stock up on bread and instant noodles and canned food. There, all who walked in asked for mineral water. But obviously, there wasn't any as the shelves were already bare.

My housemate said it was nothing like she'd experienced before. Me too!! And I'd gladly not experience it anytime! So, LAKU. Add Oil! Add Oil!! 加油! 加油!Don't mind the pun. ;p

Pssssst. Miri's gonna smell really stinky with unwashed bodies for the next few days!! So stay away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...