Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pearl Bean Soup

I don't know what these beans are called. At Isetan, the label says "Mushroom Beans". Hmn ... not sure whether it's called that. It may be called Borlotti or Cranberry beans in English. But locally, it is often referred to as Pearl Beans (抮珠豆). Mom usually cooks the Pearl Beans with Lotus Roots and Spare Ribs in a soup. It's one of my favourite soups.

This morning, at the market, I saw some Pearl Beans. They sold for RM15.00 per kg here. It's considered expensive, but I did not need much to cook soup. I picked a handful of pods, about 200g and they cost RM3.00.

 What a pretty shade of pink

Peas in a pod

Some of the beans are in pretty pink too
Mom scalded the spare ribs and then boiled them with the lotus roots on low fire for an hour. The beans were added last because they softened quite quickly. I think Mom probably boiled the beans for about 15 minutes. Finally, Mom would flavour the soup with salt.

Pearl Beans with Lotus Root and Spare Rib soup

The beans are nutty, creamy and rich in flavour, a contrast with the crunchy lotus root. The soup, of course, is light but umami in taste. It's a great soup to drink from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...