Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kelp Ribbons In Two Dressings

My colleague, T**, helped me to buy this packet of kelp.

A packet of kelp

So, it's Kelp Salad for today's meal. ;))

Soaked in cold water and drained

Then, transferred to a pot of water to boil

I boiled it for about 10 minutes, and then drained it. Then it was time to season it. I replicated my colleague's recipe, and dressed half a portion of kelp with sesame oil, lemon juice and salt. Mom found it to be too bland. Mom preferred a stronger flavour, so she decided that she would make her own dressing. She had garlic, shallots, chillies, lemon juice, sugar, salt, sesame oil and a dash of Shao Tsing wine mixed in a little bowl and then dressed the kelp the way she liked it. We both sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds on the kelp for extra colour and texture.

Kelp Ribbons in Two Dressings
Mom's version isn't suitable for Buddhist Vegetarians who don't consume pungents like garlic and shallots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...