Thursday, March 1, 2012

Stall 10 Taman Selera

It's customary to send off a colleague with a meal, especially when he or she gets transferred to a new work place. We usually have a get-together at a restaurant at one of the hotels here, but this time, our new counsellor, M**** suggests that we eat at Taman Selera. Okie, we're game since we are sick of fancy restaurant food at the hotels anyway. Stall no. 10, he says. He volunteers to organise the event for us.

As I sat with him at lunch the other day, he excitedly told me what he'd ordered. Crab masak this and prawn masak that. That invoked my curiosity and I anticipated the meal even more.

And so, this is the spread for dinner last night.

 Tom Yum Soup
It was fiery and tangy, but quite yum. I had in my bowl cauliflower, crunchy celery slices, cuttlefish and also a prawn. Many of my colleagues found the soup to be overly spicy, and I agreed. But then, imo, Tom Yum Soup is meant to be spicy. It has no kick if it ain't spicy. Lol.

Crabs in a Chilli & Egg Sauce
I loved this dish. The crabs were fresh and sweet, and the sauce tasted heavenly. It was aromatic, sweet and spicy, and with a creamy consistency. I had my rice drenched in the sauce and that was enough for me, really.

Deep-fried fish in Sauce
The fish was fresh but not as sweet as I wanted it to be. Not sure what fish it was, and I too forgot to ask. The sauce was aromatic but slightly sourish. I got a bit lost figuring out its flavour. It was not as impactful as it could have been.
P/S : The pic looked sorry. Lol. But that was the best shot I got of the fish before it was being attacked by my colleagues left, right and centre.

Deep Fried Prawns in Nestum
M****'s favourite. He ate all the crunchy deep-fried bits of flour and Nestum. Lol. I had a prawn, but was not very impressed either.

Chicken & Beef Satay
The meats were tender and quite flavourful, but lacked the smoky aroma of charcoal.

Mixed Vegetables
I did quite like the veges as they were crunchy. The celery gave the whole dish a refreshing taste.

I had not known that there is a new set up at Taman Selera. While the old site was renovated and upgraded, the stalls shifted to the other side of the beach. It was constructed out of zinc. It was really hot and stuffy, even though it drizzled earlier on. Nevertheless, the place was still packed with diners, eager to whet their appetites on fresh seafood. Not bad a place to hang out with friends on a lazy night. ;))

P/S : *masak means cook in the Malay language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...