Saturday, March 24, 2012

Kimchi @ Korean Products

There is a small community of Koreans in Kuching. According to this article, some of them are students. Some of them are involved in church activities in Kuching as well. My cousin, J**** attended her first Korean language class at a Korean church last Saturday!

To cater to the needs of the growing Korean community, there is a shop at Premier 101 that sells products native to Korea. The name of the shop? Korean Products Sdn. Bhd. ;)) How apt, huh?

I'd been there a couple of times, and I am always very taken in by the foreign merchandise, and the colourful packaging. There is a large variety of items on sale, ranging from toothpaste to instant noodles to ice-cream to sodas to biscuits and snacks. It is always fun to linger in the shop and it is guaranteed that I will purchase something.

One of the things I like to purchase every time is kimchi.

 Kimchi, RM13.80

Open up the lid ...

Kimchi, a staple of every Korean individual, is sold here in 2 sizes. A smaller portion sells for RM6.80. I think the Kimchi here packs a punch. It's peppery, pungent, salty and tangy. In there are white cabbage, radish, spring onions and onions. I think some other herbs or vegetables are used, but they are unfamiliar to me. Maybe Sil can help me out?? Anyway, my favourite vegetable in there would be the radish as it's really crunchy.

Kimchi is really versatile, as a cooking ingredient. And I had intended to cook myself a piping hot pot of Kimchi Jjigae or Kimchi stew. But I never did. Cause no one else at home wanted to eat it. Lol.

"I'd never eaten Kimchi before till now," Mom said. She wasn't accustomed to the taste.

"I think Acar tastes better," Dad said.

Okie. I got it. Lol ;))

3 comments:

  1. work at Korean product are Korean or……?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you by any chance have the name and phone number of the person teaching Korean to your cousin? My daughter would like to learn. BTW, where's the korean church situated? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have interest in korean kimchi..i can make kimchi since i used to used to work in korean restaurant. Please email me at andersminjap@gmail.com if you interested.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...