Friday, January 27, 2012

Gukhwappang

Bro raved about a fish ice cream one afternoon.

"Fish ice-cream?" I said, puzzled. Well, it's ice-cream in the shape of a fish, Bro clarified. There's red beans inside, he added.

"Is it like Taiyaki?" I asked, referring to the Japanese sweet that I know of.

Nope, can't be. Taiyaki's not ice-cream. Nope, I'd never tried fish ice-cream before. Apparently it's a Korean confectionery and would be available at any Korean mart.

We have a Korean mart here in Kuching, located at Premiere 101. So we headed there this afternoon. Unfortunately, they did not have the fish ice-cream. They had, however, the Chrysanthemum ice-cream.

 국화빵
Gukhwappang
literally, Chrysanthemum Bread


The back of the pink package

Open up the packaging to see a thin wafer in the shape of a chrysanthemum flower.


Cut it across and you will see a layer of red bean paste, a thin green layer of something, and vanilla ice-cream. We're not sure what the thin layer is. It could be a green tea paste or just a thin layer of tteok (rice cake). It's really very sweet, but in the midst of that sugary concoction, I could still taste the red bean paste. Bro loved it. Dad loved it too.

Well, this is the ice-cream version of the real Gukhwappang, a pastry which is somewhat like a chrysanthemum-shaped waffle. It's widely sold in the streets of Korea as snacks. And yes, it's like the Taiyaki. Only that in Korea, the fish-shaped Taiyaki is called Bungeongppang붕어빵 instead.

Gukhwappang ice-cream sold for about 1,000 won. Based on today's exchange rate, it cost about RM3.00. But here in Kuching, I bought it for RM8.00. It's really expensive, but I guess I paid more for the novelty than for anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...