Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Great Australian Taste

Dried meats feature prominently in every household during Chinese New Year. Popular brands include Oloiya (我来也) and Loong Kee (龍記), but my personal favourite is Singapore's Bee Cheng Hiang (美珍香).

This Chinese New Year, we served a special type of dried meat at home.

 Specialty jerky

It came all the way from Down Under. Uncle had bought it during a holiday there.

Macropus Rufus = Red Kangaroo

Kangaroo meat has been part of the Aboriginal diet in Australia and is perfectly alright to eat, as printed on the package.

Safe and legal to eat ...

I only had a small bite as I was quite disturbed at the thought of eating a kangaroo. Its taste? Hmn ... it was salty, much like bacon but with a gamier flavour.

The packaging

So how about the great Australian taste? Hmn ... well, if I had a choice, it would not be something I would want to eat. No offense, but I still prefer my Oloiya or Loong Kee or Bee Cheng Hiang. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...