Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dinner @ Boulevard Restaurant Miri

New Year's Eve dinner at Boulevard Restaurant Miri cost a bomb, not something I would usually go for if not for my friend. Most who attended were business owners from all over Miri. So I kind of felt like a fish out of water.

It was a dinner and dance party, where people got to dance the night away. Most who danced were old folks. They dressed to the nines and enjoyed themselves tremendously dancing non-stop. For me, it's great to see them passionate about something, even in their golden years.

There was also guest performers from Taiwan.

A father & daughter team
Jack Kao & Kiki Kao

They danced 3 numbers, and father Jack also performed a dance alongside his very beautiful wife.

I believe it's the first time I have dinner here at the Boulevard Restaurant, and overall, the food was better than I had expected. Lol. I guess where "Boulevard" is concerned, I never have high expectations, be it the hypermarket or the hotel.

Auspicious Red on the menu cover

Four Seasons Hot & Cold Combination
I would start with the jelly fish on the top. It was not crunchy and tasted ordinary. The meatballs however, were full of flavour, the best stuff on the platter. The salad was a mystery to me. I think those are mock abalones. Some said it was Bai Ling Mushroom. I hadn't any idea but I had a dice. It tasted chewy and packed with artificial abalone flavouring, I suppose; As for the mini spring rolls, beancurd skin was layered with toasted nori and then rolled with meat. My friend liked it but I thought it was soggy.

Fish Maw Soup
The soup looked luscious and tasted wonderful with the flavour of crab meat & fish maw. I add a dash for malt vinegar and tucked into my soup with relish. I found thick strips of fish maw in the bowl, which I was happy about. Some found it too starchy, however.

Crispy Skin Chicken
The meat was soft but did not have much taste. I ate the chicken with lots of cut chilli.

Sweet & Sour Fish Fillet
The fish fillet was really crispy, but I did not like the sauce. I think it was more sweet than sour.

Pork Ribs With Plum Sauce
The pork was very tender but the coating was too sweet.

Baby Kailan & Mushroom in Oyster Sauce
The lights were dimmed for a dance performance when I snapped this shot. Lol. Anyway, I liked this dish of vegetables and assorted mushrooms. The combination of textures were rather pleasant, with the crunchy vegetables and soft, chewy and slithery mushrooms. Flavouring was kept light so this dish was quite delightful.

After the lights came back on, I took another shot of the leftovers.

Deep Fried Bean Curd with Salad Sauce
As I bit into the tofu, I could taste the combined flavours of meat and tofu. Its shell was crispy but it was firm on the inside. The mayo made it even more yum. My only gripe would be that it was very salty. I drank a glass of water after having 1 piece.

Rice in Lotus Leaf
Hidden in the savoury rice were bits of shiitake mushrooms, waxed meats, diced meats, and also dried prawns. It tasted just great!

To end the meal, we had a small platter of fresh fruits. There were just honey dew and watermelon slices.

At the end of it all, my friend and I both agreed that it wasn't worth the price we paid. But it was just for us, a bit of entertainment & a warm meal to end the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...