Monday, March 19, 2012

我家包点 Home-made Steamed Buns

"I heard that you brought back a lot of 烧饼 shao bing from Kuching," I asked my colleague, V***. He was in Kuching for his interview the other day, and other colleagues had disclosed to me that he bought lots of food back. I was curious where he bought them from.

"Actually, it's 烧卖 shao mai," he replied.

"Where from?" I asked.

"我家包点," he said. Home-made Steamed Buns is the name of the shop in English. The proprietor is his relative. "You must try the shao mai," he insisted.

Hmn. In Kuching, whenever I want to eat shao mai dumplings, I'd head to the Open Air Market and buy from Sin Kwang Heng, which many agree to be selling the best shao mai in Kuching. I'd never tried shao mai from anywhere else! So, this trip home, I'd decided that I should give a Home-made Steamed Buns a try. Lol, I do not even know where the shop is located. I asked Dad, and he said it was at Padungan. Okie. That's nearby.

Today, I had the opportunity to buy some.

Shao Mai
from
Home-made Steamed Buns at Jalan Padungan, Kuching

Well, the dumplings are RM0.60 each, quite large. They were firm and springy, fresh and tasted quite nice. I could taste the mixture of fish and meat paste in the dumplings. Quite 鲜. Compared to Sin Kwang Heng, this one is more savoury. Mom did not think that it was exceptionally yum (She's a loyal fan of Sin Kwang Heng. Lol.) But for a change, I really did not mind eating these ones from 我家包点 Home-made Steamed Buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...