Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dumplings and Fritters

It was raining rather heavily. I felt cold and a bit hungry.I was at the bank, and at the vicinity, I know of a couple selling yummy traditional cakes for tea. Though it was pouring, I made my way to the stall, which was made up of 2 foldable tables.

Atop one table were containers, filled with delectable traditional cakes or kueh ... such as the steamed yam cakes, serimuka and so on. But I wanted the the Cai Kueh. Cai Kueh translates to English as Vegetable Dumpling. It is basically a steamed pastry with stir-fried vegetables filling. The most common vegetable used in the filling is shredded jicama.

Here, there are 3 types of Vegetable Dumpling sold. But when I was there the other day, only two types were left.

 Cai Kueh
The rounded dumpling contained shredded jicama and minced pork filling, while the elongated one had jicama and dried shrimp. 

The filling inside the dumplings
Both tasted similar, yet distinctly different. Of the two, I think the pungent dried shrimp was more effective in bringing out the sweetness of the jicama. So I prefer the the dried shrimp flavoured one. Anyway, the soft and chewy skin, combined with savoury and crunchy shredded jicama was just great! 

The Vegetable Dumplings were sold in packs of three. 3 pieces for RM2.00.

At the other table, the Vendor Auntie was deep-frying fritters on the spot. I could not resist buying those freshly deep-fried fritters which were cooked to golden perfection.  

 Left to right : Yam, sweet potato, banana
The batter for all the fritters was the same, and was slighty salty. I loved all three - the powdery yam .... the natural sweetness of the sweet potato and banana .... Yums.  3 pieces for RM1.00 only. 

This stall is located at Tham's Cafe at Centrepoint, Miri. They only start selling at 3.00 p.m., but be sure to be prompt, cause the stuff here sells like hot cakes! ;p 

2 comments:

  1. I've had vegetable dumplings just like these freshly made. I don't recognise the word jicama - is that similar to yam? Very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jicama is like yam bean or turnip. It's got a crunchy texture and tastes a bit sweet. It can be eaten raw or coked. It's the main ingredient for this dumpling.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...