Friday, April 5, 2013

Second Aunt's Homemade Goodies

Second Aunt keeps making things for me to eat. She is my mom's elder sister. And she was my nanny when I was a baby. And she invariably makes me lots of things to eat every time I come back to Kuching ....

Homemade and Handmade Char Siu Bao  

The filling ... 
Soft and chewy bao skin filled with dices of char siu. It is sweet and savoury with a faint hint of shao xing wine used to flavour the meat. 

My perennial favourite is  Second Aunt's Steamed Yam Cake .... it's really very delicious. The cake itself is soft and packed with lots of yam and pork, while the topping is savoury with lots of preserved radish, dried shrimps, chillies, spring onions and of course deep-fried shallots. A perfect combination that has won over a lot of people.

Hae Bee Hiam or Dried Shrimp Sambal
Second Aunt's Hae Bee Hiam really packs a punch ... it's got not only dried shrimps and spices, but also pork rind crackling. Sinful, but so yummy.

I am forever indebted to Second Aunt for feeding me with so much goodies ..... 

3 comments:

  1. The texture of the bao looks very good. Is that boiled egg in the filling too? They all look very tasty. I wish I had a second aunt like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed blessed to have doting elders who are still able to churn out the old school traditional dishes, I too share the same drools and ahhs when my grandmother was still around, unfortunately her culinary legacy went with her as none in the family shared the same level of interest to actually indulge in it. The current generation will only dwell on the memories of what/how ahma did it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've to count my blessings!!! Yes, the bao has got a very lovely texture - very soft and fluffy. The boiled egg was a rather large wedge too!

    Well, at home, Second Aunt's really known for her generosity. Whenever she makes something ... A LOT of relatives get to eat it. It would be difficult to find an auntie like her.

    Hmn, yes. It's the same here too. I suppose unless we are interested in culinary crafts, we will not be bothered to learn. There's so much work involved!!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...