Saturday, May 11, 2013

Borneo Jazz Festival 2013 : Show 1

WOW. Words fail me.

There's something about watching an event LIVE! That whole experience is just AWESOME. It's a blend of a lot of elements that make the whole feeling awesome. Amidst the crowd, the lights, the movement, the dancing, the heat, the sweating, the clapping and the cheering, that emotion and feeling that is created is just indescribable. YOU have got to experience it yourself.

The West Jazz Band from Kuching

As the night progressed, I could experience the diversity of the music presented. The concert kicked off with the West Jazz Band from Kuching. They injected a local flavour to the music, entertaining the crowds with some numbers in Malay. Then came the Lisa Young Quartet. They hailed from the Down Under and I must say that I was entranced by Lisa's superb vocal percussion, a style known as the "konnakol".

Lisa Young entertaining the crowd ...
Pic source : cikarifah

This was followed by the Scott Martin Latin Soul all the way from the West Coast of the USA. They presented an untitled new song ... and got the crowd cheering when they suggested calling it "Mambo Miri". Yes, please!! Mambo Miri sounds great to me!!

Scott Martin on the saxophone
Pic source : cikarifah

The crowd poured in slowly .... and I just loved the casual atmosphere of the whole event. A sea of people facing the stage clapping and cheering ... some seated on plastic chairs far away, enjoying a drink or two. But all could not help, but to tap their toes, or to sway to the rhythm and the addictive melodies. I joined in the crowd, felt the cool breeze brushing against my face, closed my eyes and lost myself to the music.

The wonderful crowd ...
Pic source : cikarifah

The final act of the night was by The Nylons, an a capella band from Canada. I had really anticipated their performance and they really DID NOT disappoint. I love them!!!! The Nylons have renowned vocals, very strong and solid voices that just blew me away! Many a time, they sang in dazzling harmonies, with just a tambourine for accompaniment. They had the crowd singing along with their renditions of "All I Have To Do Is Dream" and also "I'm Yours".  They are also known for their fabulous showmanship, where they flirt incorrigibly with the audience. They were VERY entertaining indeed.

The Nylons in action ... 
Pic source : sheep319

Of course, I feel a personal affinity with their song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", having sung a revised version myself together with the local choir. Listening to them singing it would be .... an unforgettable experience. I was really sad when the show ended ... as I could really have them sing all night .............. ;P

The last song was really special ... as The Nylons had Lisa Young on stage to join them singing their goodbyes. Lisa injected her brand of vocal percussion into The Nylon's harmonies, and it worked sensationally. As they hit the climax of the song, I marvelled at their singing skills .... It's not every day that we get to watch performances of such calibre. I had a great, great night ...

Tonight, I will be anticipating the Asian Jazz All Stars Power Quarter, Mo'Blow, Jump4Joy and Hazmat Modine. Stay tuned, brb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...