Friday, May 17, 2013

You Made My Day

I was carrying 4 bags. Really. A laptop bag, a bagful of files, a bag of water bottles, and my handbag. I dragged my feet slowly to the office, where I had to check in for work for the day. As I reached the office entrance, a student smiled at me and graciously opened the door for me.

"Thank you," I said, grateful.

"You're welcome, teacher," he replied.

 He made my day.

***

After recess, I saw a group of my students working together in the hall ... in preparation for the teachers' day steamboat lunch celebration. They carried the furniture and arranged them around the hall. They prepared crockery and cutlery, and set the tables. They helped the canteen operator to wash the vegetables, the mushrooms and to prepare many of the other ingredients. They took the task really seriously, worked together as one big family.

The table .... properly set up

I watched them, and I felt really proud to have them as students. You see, they had just enrolled as Pre-university students at the school. They were in school for barely one week. Yet, they could collaborate so well, the effort that they put in doing every task was truly praiseworthy.

Later, during lunch, they also did a great job serving the teachers. They made my day - every single one of them.

Steamboat

***

Throughout the day too, students make an effort to wish us teachers. Whether I teach them or not, they make it a point to stop and greet me. That's really heartwarming and these students too, made my day. 

***

Some students present us teachers with material gifts. There is always a mug or a container every year ... and also some ornamental items, red pens, and hand-written cards. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You made my day too.

***

Then, there are former students who too make  it a point to wish us via text messages or the social media. Some even drop by the school for a visit, and bringing with them a cake or two. These students definitely made my day. 

A beautiful cake ... 

***

I find myself smiling as I drive home from work that day. Thank you for making this teachers' day special and unforgettable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...