Sunday, May 5, 2013

I Have Decided

Where are you voting? I was asked.

Dewan masyarakat, I said. I'd checked online.

The weather here in Kuching was really great this morning. It was cloudy, but really cool as voters made their way out to the polling centres, to decide the governance of Malaysia for the next 5 years.

So at about 9.30 a.m., I went to the Dewan Masyarakat at Jalan Ang Cheng Ho. I checked with the staff there ... and found out that I was at the wrong Dewan Masyarakat. Lols.

I was supposed to be voting at the community hall near my house, the KPCA. Lol. What a blunder.

Lots of cars lining Macdougall Road

So I lined up for voting station no. 3 which was situated at the end of the hall ... that's where the masses were casting their votes.  There were more young people,  so the wait was longer for station no. 3. The elderly were assigned stations no. 1 and 2 .... nearer to the entrance. There were fewer of them, so the process was swifter for those 2 stations.

Joining the queue

Before long, it was my turn. I had identity card verified, the number and my name read out from the electoral roll, my left index finger painted .... I checked my ballot paper, then proceeded to the booth. I took special care not to smudge the ballot paper, lest my vote be spoilt.

After I was done ... I folded the paper, and dropped it into the ballot box.

Navy blue it is! 

It's my first time voting. And I'm glad I did it. My vote counts! :) 

2 comments:

  1. Wah.. Flew in from Miri to vote. Kudos to you! My polling station was at Ong Thian Swee. Such a long queue. I waited for half an hour for my turn, just imagine that. Never experienced that before but I'm not complaining. Glad that this time around people really make an effort to turn up to vote. About the indelible ink, just out of curiosity, as soon as I reached home I washed it with ordinary soap. First wash it faded significantly, second wash gone totally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, thanks Jonsey! I was glad I did not wait for so long, maybe about 10 minutes. I got a thick coat of ink ... so my finger is still stained as of now. :)) No complaints about the ink .... I like it. It's a proof of my service to democracy!!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...