Saturday, May 4, 2013

That Beam

It is dubbed Sarawak's biggest vocal talent search contest. Only the best of the best are selected for the competition. The creme de la creme. It's no joke. The rewards are lucrative. It includes a recording contract, and of course, it opens up a sea of opportunities for the hopefuls.

A former student of my school is in the finals. Not only I am proud of his achievement, the whole school is and is rooting for him. As for me, I am so privilege tonight to watch him perform in the finals, and I must say that he did great. The crowd roared after each of his performances, and the judges all gave him very favourable comments. So, I suppose that the results did not come as a surprise. He got third among the six finalists.

The audience had a say in the results .... a bottle of Leema carried one vote. The drinks were sold at RM2.00 per bottle. I love the colours. I drank the banana flavoured one .... it tasted like ..... hmn ... Fanta green? But it was not too sweet, so I managed to finish drinking the whole bottle. Leema is Kuching-made.

The competition was held at Four Points by Sheraton, Kuching. A great-looking stage had been set up, and a viewing platform had been built for the judges, facing the stage. The judges were made up of Dato' David Arumugum, Dayang Nurfaizah and the Indonesian heartthrob, Randy Pangalila. Whoa. All big names there. And all talented and professional artistes, and with solid credentials. Dato's himself is a legend here in Malaysia.

The competition began with an opening dance .. great costumes and great dancing. In fact, throughout the night, the dancers impressed me with their bright costumes, energetic dance moves, and dynamic choreography. They were good! The hosts were local deejays, and I think they did a great job too!

Then the competition proper began with each of the 6 contestants singing their songs. After which, each of the judges commented. Most of the comments were positive, and some do point out how the contestants could and should improve their skills.

For me, it touches my heart to be seeing so many young talents performing on the stage. Many of them have strong vocal abilities. I was blown away by a few power performances. Indeed, I was superbly entertained.The night ended on a high note for me.

A window of opportunities just opened for all of these young singers. I wish them all the best in their singing careers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...